Oil, Plastics, Decayed Food and Toxic Waste
Thermal conversion is a closed high-temperature process. Therefore, oil, grease, plastics and toxic waste in plastic or metal containers are perfectly safe to process. The high energy value of these items and the high temperature of the process kills all viruses and bacteria. Toxic chemicals are refined and detoxed in gaseous form and packaged for resale to manufacturers. Energy is produced as steam, heat, and electricity.
Transportation and Handling of toxic feedstock substances must, of course, be managed carefully -- according to the safest practices. Once they are in the process they are flushed into the primary kiln (packaging and all) through a feeder valve that operates much like a flush toilet. Thus a water seal is maintained and the packaging is not violated until the contents are ready to be converted into energy and useful raw materials and fuels. The containers are sterilized and converted into raw materials that may be used to make new containers.
Contaminated soil at a waste dump is washed clean with solvents produced by the plant. Toxics such as used oil, cooking oil, grease, medical waste and various chemicals, are safely processed with no smoke or dangerous by-products. The carbonic fluids produced by oxidizing carbon-based waste may become the solvent for an add-on module that cleans the tainted soils.
Plastics that are not recyclable yet take centuries to decompose in landfills are made from petrochemicals. While they cannot be burned because that would produce toxic fumes, they make excellent feedstock for a plant.that refines the fumes into pure chemicals for resale while caputring the energy released during conversion.
Advantages to thermally transforming low quality petrochemical products:
- Dirty feedstocks don't need to be separated manually yet the process captures and separates recyleable metals, glass, etc. as part of the process.
- Thermal conversion captures more energy than combustion; it is more efficient and cleaner.
- The heat may drive a steam generator, which is three times more efficient than a gas turbine.
Captured heat may be used for heating, cooling, water purification or operating a Materials Recycling Facility.
Cogeneration: Since the systems we design will produce clean water, steam, dry ice and other products through cogeneration before making electricity, the feedstocks are used more efficiently than systems that generate electricity first then use the electricity to do this kind of work.
Since systems are not restricted to using only one kind of fuel, there are several other benefits that we offer to the community. Of course, we will need to pre-configure each site to optimize it for the feedstocks available locally.
- We can specify and deliver solutions that process all kinds of waste: chicken litter, weeds, tree trimmings, etc.
- We can configure solutions that reclaim water used to wash off dairy cows, wash the barn, etc.
- We offer solutions that safely process organic waste from restaurants and food processing -- without odor.
- Dead animals, even those killed by disease can be safely converted into beneficial products.
- We can configure systems that clean soil that has been contaminated with oil or chemicals (an add-on module).
- Energy solutions we offer will receive green credits (that are available either on voluntary markets or through official regulations) for clean energy to be shared with business partners.
- We need not depend upon local capital. However, local investors may participate; this benefits both the local investors and the local community by circulating cash locally.