Emission-Free Urban Waste Conversion
Thermal conversion is a closed high-temperature process with no smoke stack. All kinds of urban waste is converted without emissions to energy and salable by-products.
Thermal conversion kilns come in all sizes. A typical kiln can process 144-288 tons of garbage a day (6-12 tons an hour). This will vary, depending upon what it is, how much BTU value it contains and the target outputs. The throughput is normally less important than the outputs unless the community is primarily interested in waste disposal. We maximize the throughputs only if the community can use the energy and by-products.
Plastics do not decompose in landfills for centuries. They are made of petrochemicals. They cannot be safely burned because burning them produces toxic fumes. However, they make excellent fuel for a conversion plant -- which captures the energy and refines the fumes into pure chemicals for resale.
Metals contain no energy can be recovered from urban waste. They are melted during energy production then refined on-site -- efficiently using the energy derived from the carbon-based waste.
Oil and toxics that have contaminated the soil at a waste dump can be washed clean with carbonic solvents produced by the plant. Toxics such as used oil, cooking oil, grease, medical waste and various chemicals, are safely processed with no smoke or dangerous by-products.
Additional advantages to the thermal conversion of urban waste include:
- Multiple waste types can be mixed into a preconfigured process.
- Gasification captures more energy than combustion; it is more efficient.
- The heat can drive a steam generator that is more efficient than a gas generator.
- Combined Heat and Power can be provided to a recycling center to recycle glass and metal, etc.
Cogeneration: Since the process produces clean water, steam, dry ice and other products through cogeneration before making electricity, the fuel efficiency is far greater than using electricity to do this work
Since thermal conversion systems are not restricted to using only one kind of fuel, there are several other benefits that we offer to the community. Of course, we do need to pre-configure each site to optimize it for the feedstocks available locally -- to complement and empower other kinds of recycling.
- Process all kinds of waste not otherwise recovered: chicken litter, weeds, tree trimmings, etc.
- Reclaim polluted or salt water by flash distillation and purification.
- Safely convert organic waste from restaurants, and food processing plants into energy and fuels.
- Safely reuse resources from dead animals; sterilizing all pathogens (including prions)
- Clean soil contaminated with oil or chemicals (an add-on module).
- Generate green credits for clean energy; share these with business partners.